Advisor: Mr. Daniel Cosgrove
Dufur High School has a chapter of the National Honor Society, consisting of students who have maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
Selection to National Honor Society is a privilege, not a right. NHS is more than an honor roll; emphasis on leadership, service, scholarship and character are also involved in the selection process. Students do not apply for membership in the NHS, instead they provide information to be used by the selection committee to support their candidacy for membership.
- The school will identify sophomores, juniors, and seniors after the third academic quarter of the school year to determine scholarship eligibility, which is a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher. They must have attended Dufur High School for the equivalent of at least 1 semester.
- The NHS advisor will then extend a letter inviting qualifying students to apply for membership to NHS. They will receive a Student Activity Information Form. They will be told about the selection process and the deadline to apply. Applicants will be given one week, and no late forms will be accepted.
- There will be a meeting for the candidates to clarify the process and to revisit the requirements stated in step #2. They can ask questions at this time.
- The principal will select a Faculty Council from high school teachers.
- The Faculty Council will meet to discuss the candidates. A Student Activity Information Form for each candidate will be given to all council members to review.
- The Council will consider outstanding performance in scholarship, leadership, service and character.
- Students selected, and their parents, will be notified by mail after the council has made their selections.
- Students not selected, and their parents, will be notified by mail after the council has made their selections.
- If a non-selected student wishes to challenge the decision, they should follow the Dufur School District complaint procedures.
- An Induction Ceremony will take place before the end of the school year to initiate the new members.